Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Deployment Doldrums

During the time away, I passed the my two-months in theater mark (and am creeping awfully close to the 2.5 mark). It came and went without any hurrah. We're in the doldrums of the deployment. I've been here long enough that the excitement is gone. I've been here long enough that nothing really surprises me anymore, but not long enough that I can think about going home. I wouldn't call it mundane, but it's become repetitive - my own Groundhog's Day. I wake up and see the same bright sun in the cloudless sky. I feel the same heat (although after a respectable June, it heated up quickly in July. I drive the same truck, to the same office, I eat the same food. And sadly, I seem to be spinning my wheels in the same Iraqi ruts (figuratively, not literally).


But do not despair, my fellow JAG personnel and I have devised a way to keep things moving. Ok, I devised a way and I'm dragging them along with me. We've created themes for each day. Monday: Movie Monday. Tuesday: Table Tennis Tuesday. Wednesday: Breakfast with Joe. Thursday: Take-out Thursday. Friday: Fast food Friday. Saturday: Sather/Stryker Saturday. Sunday: Ice Cream Sundays!

I wouldn't say that we're really committed to this entire schedule, but at least it gives us something different. For example, we've NEVER done Table Tennis Tuesday, but every Tuesday we talk about it. Something new to think about. And we've only watched one movie together on Monday. Although this one might pick up as we increase our movie selections.

Our favorites are Wed, Fri, and Sun. Joe is my terp; he has been over here for over a year and dreams of returning to the states to start a restaurant. To pass the time, he cooks out of his CHU. It's amazing the types of food he can create with a microwave. Dolmas, hummus, tabouli, and all kinds of other exotic foods that are created with I-don't-know. Every Wed morning we get together to sample Joe's weekly fare. I keep hoping it'll turn into a Tuesdays with Morrie deal, but I think Joe is too sarcastic for me to find any material. Unless you might think people want to read his response when I asked him to impart upon me some wisdom he's gathered over the years of living in so many different places: "Capt M, I don't think, I just translate the brilliant things you have to say."

On Friday, we all order fast food type food at the DFAC (dining facility). We're all trying to eat healthy over here (some more than others), so Friday is our day to pick up a burger, corn dog, french fries, etc. from the line. Thursdays aren't really "take out" as much as "go out" Thursdays. There are a few restaurants around VBC that we're going to start hitting up when we run out of patience with the DFAC - that includes some local fare, but also the BKs, Popeyes, Subways, etc. that are on base. It's just nice to have something different.

Sather/Stryker are two other bases contained on VBC. I have to work by them, so I try to make the other 2 leave the comfort of RPC and join me. It hasn't happened very often. The other JAG here is trying to turn Saturday into "Soft Serve Saturdays" and I'm not sure if it's because he likes soft serve that much or hates going to Sather/Stryker that much.

And finally - the absolute favorite - Ice Cream Sunday. As I've said, we're trying to eat healthy, but there's always free Blue Bell ice cream! For the first few weeks we were all eating it every other day or so. Probably not the best way to do things - so in an effort to cut down on the bad habits as well as to celebrate another week gone by, we (I) limit ourselves to ice cream only on Sundays. I'm really the only one truly committed to the principle, but the others are pretty good at limiting themselves. I really think it helps the week go by a little faster, and I know that I get really excited for the indulgence on Sunday - I think it even helps the ice cream taste better.


In a fit of perfect serendipity, my paralegal's birthday was last Sunday. We decorated the office with supplies sent over by her husband and celebrated with a DFAC dinner on "Happy Birthday" plates and ice cream for dessert. Here's a picture of her blowing out her "candle"



And the card I got her. They didn't have a "Happy Birthday to my Paralegal" card at the PX so I improvised:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've got to hit up Joe for his secrets. An inquiring food blogger wants to know...