Thursday, August 12, 2010

Keep on Truckin'

So, a few folks have asked me about the vehicle I'm driving to and fro (yes, "fro") work. I've actually enjoyed the images they've presented me. Anything from a dinky little pick-up, to a Humvee, and to what I think amounted to a semi-truck. Well, none of them are completely accurate. Especially because I've had a variety of conveyances. And like so many things in Iraq, only the pictures do them justice.


Here's my first whip, The Digger. I don't know how it picked up that moniker - I have a few guesses, but would rather not submit them for the world to see.


It was a smooth ride - good transmission, but little to no a/c. The folks in the front seat got their fair share, but only room for 2. Any more than that and you had to crawl into the back. There was a bench that ran the length of the truck, but its cushions never made up for the heat in the back...


After a few weeks, I was allowed to upgrade to the Turtle. Now, this nickname I get. And I hope it's not too hard for you...


Do not ask me why it was painted like that. She performed well - decent a/c but not too trustworthy of a transmission. So, they gave me another upgrade, and another wacky paint job. I give you the Cow (and no, this isn't just the same truck with a different color scheme - they actually had two trucks painted like this). Can you tell how proud of her I was?



The cow was a mix of the first two trucks - it had neither good a/c nor a good transmission. She got me where I needed to go, but she handled like a bovine and put out about as much methane. I was happy to have her, but I was happier when I heard I was going to get upgraded with a "professional" paint job. I guess the boss's boss wasn't too impressed with his troops driving around in a cow and asked Motor Pool to give it a less embarassing paint job. I was told it was going to be blue (I think in honor of Air Force), but one of the painters must have been colorblind and I'm now driving a purple grape around town. Not regal purple, more Barney purple. I'm told that when a new shipment of paint comes in, they'll give me that professional paint job I'm waiting for - until then I'm the operator of happiest bus in the world

(this is how I imagine people see my truck when I drive by...)

No comments: